A thesis is a final paper that should be written by students as the requirement to complete the study program and to get the title of Bachelor of Law (Sarjana Hukum/S.H). The essence of the thesis writing is holistic, covering all aspects pertaining to legal science.
1.Types of Final Paper
There is four type of undergraduate final paper that could be taken by students such as Thesis, Legal Memorandum, and Legal Case Studies. The Faculty of Law provides thesis guideline book that given to students for a free.
Based on the Dean’s Regulation Number 3 of 2016, to register for conducting thesis writing, students are obliged to meet the requirements as follow:
- having ‘active’ status as a student;
- completed 120 credits;
- GPA 2.50; and
- completed the subject of Method of Legal Research with minimum ”C” mark.
The procedure of taking the thesis could be described as stated as follow:
- In each semester, every student who has fulfilled the requirements to take Thesis has to perform Key-In RAS by inputting the Thesis;
- Paid Thesis consultation fees at Bukopin Bank located at Tamansiswa campus area;
- Download, print, and fill the form to submit a title of the thesis;
- Submit the form to the Academic Division by attaching the prescribed requirements;
- After the student submits the form for submitting thesis title along with its requirements as stated in point d, then the student waits for the decision to determine the title and the Thesis Advisor by the Head of the Study Program / Head of the Department related to the topic/thesis title; and
- After the Thesis title and Thesis Advisor as stated in point e are determined, students will conduct thesis mentorship with their Thesis Advisor.
- When the student’s thesis is finished and approved by their supervisor, then they should follow the thesis examination.
4. Thesis Consultation
The student should actively consult their supervisor about their writing progress and problems. The consultation could be done via message or social media app as long as there is a specific agreement with the supervisor. The total number of consultation meetings should be at least 8 (eight) meetings and must be recorded by the thesis consultation card.
In order to increase the student research quality, the Faculty holds annual thesis methodology training that dedicated for a student who deeply wants to know about the research process during the writing of their thesis. This event is not an obligation but annually opens for a free.
5.Thesis Proposal Seminar
The student must write a thesis proposal and must be presented at the seminar. Before submitting the proposal, students are required to consult their proposal at least three times. The student should submit the thesis proposal that has approved by the supervisor to Academic Division. If the supervisor is more than one, then the approval must be from all supervisors. The proposal seminar is held within a maximum of 14 working days after the student submits the seminar registration to the Academic Division. Seminar proposal will be held with the department which is attended at least 2 (two) lecturers. Proposal seminar examiners are possible to come from other departments that relate to their competence. Examination of thesis proposal includes aspects of substance, writing system, and research methods. At the end of the seminar, examiners shall state their final conclusion whether the thesis proposal is accepted or accepted with minor/major revisions or rejected. In the case of the rejected decision, the student must write a new thesis proposal.
Consultation is carried out within a different period of 1 semester and shall be recorded by the Consultation Card. If during the period of 1 semester, a student has not completed the thesis, then the consultation can be extended for 3 months. If within the period of extension, the student has not yet been able to complete the thesis, then the extension must be made with the approval of the content advisor and completed with a statement signed by the student and content advisor that at least contains: development of thesis writing; the capability of the deadline to complete the Thesis for a maximum of 3 months; and the ability to submit a new title if the thesis has not yet completed the deadline. If within the time limit the student cannot complete the thesis, then he must submit a new title.
7. Replacement of Supervisor
The Student might change their supervisor from the same department or another department. Changing content advisor could be done on the basis of specific reasons such as recommendation from seminar proposal examiners or student could not establish well communication with the content advisor or expiry of extension time. To change the supervisor, the student must fill and sign the form as well as follow the procedure under the Academic Division.
- Examination Procedure
- Student should submit documents as stated as follow:
- 3 (three) copies of the thesis that signed originally by the content advisor;
- 1 (one) endorsement page (halaman pengesahan);
- 1 (one)copy of minutes of meeting seminar proposal;
- 1 (one) copy of the Coursework Completion Status form which showing the passing grade of all courses (except final thesis) with a total minimum GPA of 2.75;
- 1 (one) copy of legalized CEPT certificate with score minimum of 640 or TOEFL ITP certificate with score minimum 550. Students are required to show the original certificate to the Academic Division officer while submitting the documents;
- Thesis Consultation Card which has signed by the content advisor and showing that the consultation has been done at least 8 (eight) meetings;
- Thesis examination payment receipt from the appointed Bank;
- 2 (two) copies of high school diploma;
- 2 (two) copies of birth certificate;
- 1 (one)copy of social service (KKN) certificate; and
- 3 (three) photos with size 3×4 and 4 (four) photos with size 4×6. Photo must be current, formal, and follow the university rule.
- The Dean will issue the Decision regarding the list of examiners and schedule of the thesis examination. The Decision will be issued 7 (seven) days after the thesis examination registration is closed.
- Student should submit documents as stated as follow:
- Thesis Defense
The thesis defense is established based on the schedule as stated in the Dean’s decision. Thesis defense is attended by the three examiners or at least two examiners on an assembly. The three examiners consist of the student supervisor, lecturer that his/her competency has relation with the topic of the thesis, and lecturer that experts in Islamic Law. If examiner can’t attend for thesis examination, then the defense can be postponed no later than 1 (one) week from the specified schedule date. If after the postponement, the defense is still unable to be held, the Faculty through the Head of the Study Program can appoint another examiner to replace the examiner that unable to attend.
The result of the final thesis examination will be calculated into alphabetical grade which is a translation of the average number of grades that the students earned from the examiner. There are 4 (four) aspects to measure the quality of the final thesis such as: the thesis substance, the research method, the ability to understand the correlation between the general principles of law with the substance of the thesis; the Islamic legal aspect of the thesis. Assessment of the exam should be done by the examiner based on the assessment standard of the study program. To pass the program, each student must obtain at least “B” mark from the thesis exam.
- Revision of Final Thesis
The thesis examiner has the authority to ask the student to revise their thesis after examination. The student shall revise the thesis based on the comments of the thesis examiner. Once the thesis examiner agreed with the revision, they shall provide their signature in the student’s final thesis
To make easy to understand about the thesis submission process, please read the following flowchart: